My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Enough already!

Wednesday, March 16

Enough already!

Please tell me that I am not the only one who is fed up with Martha Stewart and her silly poncho. I was reading the news on the local paper's website and found this gem of an article... pattern and all. Ugh.

No cover-up here: Poncho is hot
(note: registration may be required to read the article, but it's free)

I have nothing against ponchos in general, but I don't think that there is anything special about this particular poncho. Just because Martha wore it, the whole dang country decides they need to knit or crochet something similar. Absurd! I have seen many patterns for more stylish ponchos, and, not to be a yarn snob or anything, but Lion Brand Homespun??? For Martha??? I knitted a couple of scarves out of this stuff when I started knitting last year, and they haven't held up well at all. (I'm really not a yarn snob, I still wear one of my LBH scarves occassionally.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

I am fed up with the poncho too. I think that it is great that she wore something that was made for her by one of her fellow inmates. However, I am quite tired of the emails from all the different companies out there letting me know where to get the pattern!

BTW, thanks for the link. I heard about the article, but hadn't read it.

3/17/2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Hi Violet!

We can take the Manolo no-poncho pledge... http://manoloshoes.blogspot.com/2005/03/manolo-no-poncho-pledge.html

"I (insert the name here) swear on the head and/or the grave of my sainted granny to never wear, buy, knit, crochet, or fashion from the old throw rug, the poncho. And if the poncho it is given to me as the gift, I will graciously thank the giver and then, when she has left, put the poncho into the dog's bed and/or the trash as the case she may be. Only by doing these things faithfully can I help end for the good of the humanity the scourge that is the poncho. So help me Manolo."

I doubt I will ever knit a poncho - it just isn't my thing. :)

BTW - Does anyone know who Lilly Chin is? I have heard her name associated with knitting before, but have no clue who she is.

3/17/2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Lily Chin is a designer and teacher for all of us knitters and crocheters. She also holds the record for the world's fastest crocheter.

I can't take the poncho pledge as I will wear one on occasion (ones that I made, not of Lion Brand yarn!) They come in handy when you don't want to wear a sweater, the shawl won't stay around your shoulders, and a blanket is too big :)

3/18/2005 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home