My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Saturday was a good day...

Wednesday, March 23

Saturday was a good day...

because I learned something new! I went to Babetta's to buy some things for my secret pal package. I saw that Maya, who works there, was working on a pair of socks, and asked her how she cast on for the cuff of the sock so that it wouldn't be too tight. She took the time to show me how to do the cast on that she was using (a stretchy version of the long-tail, called the Twisted German cast on), and I went home and tried it for myself. I surprised myself by remembering how to do it without having to look at a book or on the internet! I was so excited to figure it out that I put down my 2nd crazy pink/red/orange firefighter's sock (it was starting to hurt my eyes!), and started a pair of ribbed socks from Vogue Knitting on the Go: Socks Two.

I was planning to do a photo series with instructions on how to do the Twisted German cast on, but after a quick Google search, I found a most excellent tutorial, which I think gives a much better explanation than I could ever hope to write. I highly recommend using this cast on method for sock ankles as well as for any cast on edge where there is ribbing (wrist cuffs, waistbands, etc). It looks so much better with ribbing than a regular long tail cast on, and it's stretchy too! I'll post some pictures of the sock cuff this weekend to show how nice the cast on edge looks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

THANK YOU for the link! I have been struggling to find a way to cast on for a ribbed edge that has more give and the pics here look easy enough to follow! We'll see, but it looks GREAT!

I enjoy your blog!

3/27/2005 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home