My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Socks, socks, and an iPod cozy

Monday, April 4

Socks, socks, and an iPod cozy

I have been consumed by socks lately! For some reason, I can't bring myself to finish my second psychedelic Firefighter's sock.



I think it is the yarn... the Stahl Big Print wool is bright and fun, but it gives me a headache to look at it for too long! Yes, it really is as bright as this picture. And it doesn't help that my Pony Pearl DPNs are the SAME color as the sock. I didn't do that on purpose, honest!

I have serious second sock syndrome, and have heard that the Yarn Harlot addresses this in her bookbookbook. I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of it, but haven't had time to go to the local B&N to see if they've got it in stock.

So, instead of finishing the first pair of socks that I started (like a good knitter would), I went ahead and started my second pair of socks. (Ribbed socks from VK Socks2 book, with Stahl Fortissima Socka)



Silly me! I won't get the ribbed pair finished until sometime next year, I'm sure! But I'm having fun with it anyway. It is my first pair of top-down socks, and I used the twisted German cast on, which is really, really stretchy! (and easy too!)



I really liked making the heel on this sock. It was a lot more fun to do a heel flap and gusset shaping than the simple short row heel of the toe-up sock. Hopefully it will fit well too!

While working (slowly) on both of these pairs of socks, I heard the call of some lovely red Manos from my knitting bag... "Cyndi, you must knit me... touch me... I am irresistible..." Seriously, my Manos said that to me. So, I couldn't help but whip up this awesome iPod cozy for Fred (that's my iPod).



Grumperina designed this pattern, and it was a fun, quick knit. It is by FAR the best knit iPod case pattern that I've seen so far, because it allows access to the scroll wheel while still protecting the screen. I made one minor modification to the pattern to allow access to the hold switch on the top of the iPod. I still need to sew on the plastic screen protector and some buttons, and stitch everything together (it is really rolling up right now, but will fit perfectly when the side seams are stitched up). The problem is that sewing on the screen protector requires removing my sewing maching from the closet... I'm not sure that will happen anytime soon! I don't even remember where my sewing maching is - that could be a problem. More pics when my sewing machine comes out of hiding and I get the case finished!

In other knitting news, I ordered some Katia Pisco from Elann.com in Waterfall and Lime to make the Seed Stitch Shell from VK, and it came today! Unfortunately I won't be home until Friday to play with it. Why do my knitting goodies always show up in the mail on Monday?

Today is also my birthday - the big 2-9. Woohoo! For my b-day gift, my wonderful hubby ordered me the large Sew E-Z blocking board, which should arrive in time for me to block my first sweater section, AND he got me my first two pairs of Addi turbos, in size 3 & 5, to make the VK tennis sweater. Yay!! All in all, a great birthday. Well, aside from the work thing, and the school thing, which together consumed the vast majority of my day. But still, it was a pretty good day. I can't wait to buy the yarn and get started on the tennis sweater with my new needles. I must try to resist the call of the Cotton Cashmere for a few more weeks though - I really do need to start studying for finals!

8 Comments:

Blogger Shhhh.... said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cyndi!!! I wish I had known! WIshing you mabny more years of heakth, happiness and excellent knitting =)

4/05/2005 2:30 AM  
Blogger Violet said...

Happy Birthday! Nice gifts from the hubby.

Socks look nice too. The Firefighter socks are really bright. They look pretty though.

I need to pick up Stephanie's book too. I may end up ordering it through Amazon though, I never make it to the store!

4/05/2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Happy Birthday! Excellent birthday gifts, what good taste.

4/05/2005 5:34 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Happy b-day, Cyndi!!! =)
The socks look awesome!!
And what nice presents you got from DH!
Hope you have a great week,
Caitlyn

4/05/2005 6:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy belated birthday. Your socks are looking great (both pairs) :). What a nice hubby you have. I just got my Sew E-Z blocking board and I LOVE it! It came just in time to block my sweater - woo hoo. I like the iPod cozy, now if only I had an iPod. I'm so behind the times. Don't stress yet about finals - you still have a whole month or so (I know, it's hard not to stress about getting those outlines done).

4/06/2005 8:43 AM  
Anonymous grumperina said...

Happy birthday! Forgive me for being a little late :). I hope you enjoy your iPod cozy once it's all finished up :).

4/06/2005 2:01 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! :)

4/06/2005 4:10 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Happy Late Birthday! You share a b-day with my son, Bennett.

I LOVE the firefighter socks! YOu know I really don't like red, but they are really pretty.

I am knitting my first sock as well. I wanted to have them done (both) by this week HA HA HA HA.
Maybe next month!

4/07/2005 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home