My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Procrasti-knitting

Wednesday, May 4

Procrasti-knitting

What a day! I need want to sit and knit for a while... but have so much to do for both work and school. So, I'll blog instead! So much for self discipline.

Per Lynette's request, here are some pictures of the knitting journal and cards I made at the workshop on Saturday.

The knit-covered journal: (I'm sending this off to my mother-in-law for a mother's day gift - she's the one who taught me to knit, and her favorite color is blue. I hope she likes it!)


Close-up of whip stitch to binding:


Inside cover: (the knit fabric is hot glued to the inside of the cover, and a piece of thick paper is cut to fit and glued over the fabric to make it look pretty - I was a bit messy with the glue gun!)


Knit themed gift cards:


I love the idea of using golf tees as knitting needles and using a swatch as a decorative element! I'll be using this idea again!

I *finally* finished the crazy colored socks. They turned out really well, if you don't mind the weird color pooling.



I'm very happy with them, considering they were my first pair of socks. I wish that the ladder pattern on the cuff showed up better, but the varigated yarn overwhelms the stitches. These are now in the mail to my mom for her mother's day gift. She couldn't believe it when I told her I knew how to knit socks, and will be surprised when she gets these. I think she'll love the bright colors.

Now back to work. And studying. And, maybe, if I'm lucky, later I will get in a few procrastiknitting rounds on the paisley lace shawl. I'll post pictures of my progress on that soon...

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Isn't it amazing how much you can get done when you're procrastinating, I'm a master! I love the notebook cover and cards - very creative and cute. Your socks look fabulous. How's the seed stitch shell coming? And you're working on a shawl? Wow, you're one busy lady. Can't wait to see pictures.

5/05/2005 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

I love wierd color pooling socks for some reason it's self-patterning at it's best in my book.

I really like the journal as well, and the idea of the golf teas and swatches, I saw recently the use of a specialty nail (don't ask me what kind I'm hardware deficient) and dmc floss made into a pin you wear. It was really neat. I love all these little ideas like that, thanks for sharing.

5/05/2005 1:08 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Cyndi, the journal is so neat! It looks quite professional. So here's a stupid question...how did you do the binding? Did you whipstitch with the binder rings in place or did you have to remove the rings? The golf tees as needles are really cute.

Hey, update from the Guild - there's going to be a separate Programs meeting on the Tuesday after the Guild meeting to focus on the workshop type of stuff. Next Tuesday is about circular knitting - DPNs, magic loop, and using 2 circs.

5/06/2005 7:19 AM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Here's a bit more on what I did for construction of the cover - the details aren't tha important though, I think a lot of people in the class did theirs differently, and they all looked great.

First, whipstitch the knit fabric to the spiral binding. The binding stays in the notebook, just center the knitting over it from top to bottom before stitching. Then, gently stretch the knitting across the cover and tack the corners in place on the inside of the cover with hot glue. Then fold the rest of the fabric inside and attach with hot glue. Finally, cut and position cardboard (thick paper) over the raw edges inside the cover and glue in place. Easy!

Another idea that she showed us was to knit a tube to slide over the cover, bind one end of the tube together and whip stitch the other end to the spiral binding on the inside and outside of the cover. No hot glue! That looked like it would work best with a lightweight yarn, probably nothing heavier than sport weight.

5/06/2005 12:41 PM  
Blogger Violet said...

Great job on the journal and socks! I missed Lorna's class as my daughter had cheer tryouts that day. I will keep you updated on the progress of the store. It is going to be in Citrus Heights!

5/08/2005 9:17 PM  
Blogger The Frog said...

That journal is so cool! I'm sure she'll love it.

5/11/2005 7:18 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh I love that journal! Really Nice!

5/16/2005 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home