My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: I'm back!

Monday, June 13

I'm back!

Back from vacation - and with lots of pictures... [warning: long post ahead!]

First off - the knitting! As I anticipated, I got precious little knitting done on our trip. In fact, the only knitting I did was in the car on the way to Mt. Shasta and back, plus about a round and a half that I managed to sneak in between other activities. I managed about 7 rounds on the shawl. Here's where I'm at with it now. I'm less than 20 rows from finishing, but it is going slowly.

Somehow I managed to lose my crochet hook somewhere along the way, so on the trip back home I didn't work on the shawl at all. Note to lace knitters: the crochet hook is your friend! I can't count the times that I've dropped a stitch (or two!) or made a mistake that was fixable only by my trusty crochet hook. I figured I would only be tempting fate to work on the shawl without it, so I pulled some blue Katia Pisco out of my bag and swatched it to see if it would work for Grumperina's Tivoli Tee . With size 6 needles, my column gauge was right on (19 st/4 in), but the row gauge was not even close (32 rows/5 in vs. 32 rows/4 in). I don't think this will be a problem, but I may have to rework some of the increase/decrease placements. Math = fun!

While in McCloud, we stopped in the Mercantile building, where there was a nifty bookstore. And guess what I found in the bookstore? Yarn! I couldn't resist buying some beautiful recycled silk to make a scarf just like the one I saw in the store. The only problem... I have no idea what stitch pattern was used to make this scarf. The fabric looked solid (not holey) when unstretched (see left and right sides of the picture), but when stretched, it looked like sort of net-like. Does anyone know what stitch this is?


And now, the non-knitting stuff... pictures from our trip. We fit a lot of things into our short 4-day trip... we stayed at two different B&Bs, hiked to four waterfalls, explored McCloud on foot, toured the Lake Shasta Caverns, visited the Sundial Bridge in Redding, took a ton of pictures (I'm determined to learn how to take nice pictures with the D70) and ate lots and lots of yummy food.

We hiked to Lower, Middle, & Upper McCloud Falls, and to Burney Falls. Here's Middle McCloud Falls:


And Burney Falls:


On our way to Burney Falls, we came across a section of the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a long hike to Canada and Mexico from here...


The weather was beautiful during our entire trip, and we got some great views of Mt. Shasta. [We'll be saving that hike for another time! Ha!]


The Sundial Bridge in Redding is absolutely stunning. If you live in (or are visiting) northern CA, it is worth the drive to see it in person. It's definitely the most awesome pedestrian bridge I've ever seen. There's also an arboretum, a pedestrian/bike path, and an exploratorium near the bridge - lots to do.


And finally, a picture of Todd and I on our anniversary - after a long day of hiking. During dinner at the McCloud Hotel, they played the song that was our first dance song at our wedding reception five years ago. It was completely random (they just happened to be playing a lot of Sinatra), and totally made my night!


Now, off to conquer the shawl that never ends...

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lynette said...

Ooh, sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! And you had perfect weather. Love the pictures - the one of you with Mt. Shasta as a backdrop is great. Did you camp at Burney Falls? I've wanted to stay there but it's always booked up.

Yes about the lace and having the crochet hook handy. I've thought about using a lifeline too.

6/13/2005 9:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What a wonderful trip you had and you're such a lovely couple. How cool that they played your wedding song! I can't wait to see your shawl, the color is fabulous. I'm almost finished w/ the Tivoli and I totally love it - it's a wonderful pattern.

6/14/2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Our best friends just moved to Burney...we havn't been up to see them yet but it looks like a trip to the falls is in order!

6/14/2005 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Sounds like a great mini-trip, what absolutely gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing.

6/14/2005 10:50 AM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

Wonderful pics and despite you saying not alot of knitting progress, looks to me like youve made good headway! LOVE the color of that shawl BTW!

You look so pretty in the anniversary picture - you two must be very happy! Congrats, with many more years of health and happiness together!

6/14/2005 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home