My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: The shawl that never ends...

Thursday, June 16

The shawl that never ends...

Why do I feel like I've been working on this shawl forever? When everyone else in blogland is completing much more complicated shawls in a matter of days, I'm still plugging away at the paisley lace after what seems like months. It has gotten so bad that now whenever I pick up the shawl to start knitting, I start humming:

This is the shawl that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends,
One day I started knitting it, not knowing what it was,
And I'll continue knitting it, forever, just because... this is the shawl that never ends!

Ack! And then I can't get that stupid stupid tune out of my head!

But I think I have figured out one problem that is slowing me down: Addi turbos are not meant for lace knitting. The tips are just not quite pointy enough for fingering weight yarn. I love how the purl rows go fairly quickly, but a single SSK takes me maybe 30 seconds to do, because I spend so much time trying to get the tip of the left needle through both loops of yarn. I'm going to have to do some research and figure out what type of needles are better for lace.

In other news, it is a rainy, crappy day today. And the bad weather is supposed to continue into the weekend. And I am THRILLED!!! Why, you ask? Because we were supposed to go on a camping trip that I was really not looking forward to... a camping trip with couple friends and their children, to a campground made especially for RVs. The horror - camping with RVs! That's just wrong. BUT, the couple who reserved the campsite have decided to cancel the trip because they don't want to be camping with their kids in the rain. Woohoo!!! My whole entire weekend is now FREE! Maybe now I can finish that dang shawl...

6 Comments:

Blogger Shhhh.... said...

Such a cute little tune! And yes, now it is stuck in my head too LOL

I'm glad you have your weekend back, just don't use it all stressing over finishing up!

BTW? One of the things I love love love about my Denise set is that the tips do have a nice point to them, not sharp enough to be a detrement, but enough that working with smaller pr multiple stitches isn't a chore. I'd still love to try the Addi's at some point. but for now, Denise it is =)

Have a great National Splurge Day!

6/17/2005 4:09 AM  
Anonymous LoriO said...

I agree, Denise needles are great for lace. I'm using them right now. And they're not as slippery.

6/17/2005 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Why I've had shawls like that. They are quite aggravating. And honestly I don't know what it is about certain shawls that are that way. It's a mystery.

6/17/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

So that's why you're not hiking this weekend. Yeah, RVs and kids in the rain don't mix well.

I have very little to add in the way of needles for lace knitting but I like using bamboo. When I tried the Denise needles for the capelet, they weren't slippery enough. However, it will depend on your yarn too. Should be fine with fingering weight wool.

6/17/2005 1:34 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I think Bryspun needles are great for lace knitting.

I am loving the rainy weather too. I HAT the never ending days of sun in the summer!

6/17/2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

So, did you finish the shawl? I've also heard Bryspun needles are great for knitting and they have new circular ones out. I can never complain about the rain - we always need it. Can you send it my way when you're done with it?

6/20/2005 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home