My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Two more days...

Wednesday, July 20

Two more days...

Until vacation! Woohoo! Of course, that means that this week has been twice as busy as usual, trying to get everything taken care of at work and finishing up my final papers for school (one of which is in a very sad state right now). This all adds up to very long hours of work and no time at all for things like knitting, so I have no knitting progress to report.

I do have a knitting question for you though - what project(s) are good for travel?

I'd love to take my leaf lace, but I fear that I'd end up messing it up completely unless I can give it 100% of my attention. That's not going to happen on a plane, in a car, or when I'm around any one of the dozens of family members that we will be visiting over the next two weeks. It may be best to leave the lace at home.

Socks might be good, but DPNs are kind of fiddly to work with. This may be a good time to invest in the magic loop book! And, I have lots and lots of sock yarn that needs to be knit into socks.

Any other thoughts?

I probably won't be posting again until I get back... until then, happy knitting!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I think socks because they're small and portable and you don't need much in the way of accessories. I've heard lace is good because you get a lot of knitting time out of not a lot of yarn - one or two balls and you're good, but I understand your concern. Something simple like Tivoli or a shrug or a basic sweater would also work. If it were me, I'd either choose the shrug on tap on my list or socks (or both) :) Have a great trip and take lots of pictures!

7/20/2005 9:14 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I agree that socks are great for travel. You don't need the magic loop book either. This site has all the instruction you need. But I think she uses needles that are far too long 32-35" cables should do.

7/20/2005 10:14 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Simple, small knitting would be best for travel. I found socks to be the best, as well the One Skein Wonder. It was fine using DPNs on the plane - and the shorter ones fit perfectly into a little glasses case. Scarves are good too.

Have a fabulous vacation, we'll miss you!

7/20/2005 10:58 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Hi Cyndi,
When I'm talking with people, I like projects that don't require lots of concentration and are easy to unknit/rip back in case I make a mistake. So I would probably bring an easy scarf project (no yarnovers or changing stitch counts -- it's hard to count stitches and talk at the same time!) or an easy felted bag project (mostly stockinette). I would pretty much bring anything that is straight up knit and purl. =) It's true that socks are very portable, but I think the first rows are hard so I would only bring them if I had already started the socks. Magic Loop would be cool! I just bought the booklet. I was also thinking about taking a class at Violet's store.
I hope you have a good trip! I will miss reading your posts while you are gone. Take care!

7/20/2005 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

I'd say socks, definitely. Or a scarf, but socks are just more fun.

7/20/2005 1:36 PM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

Agreeing with the socks idea as well as not really needing the magic loop book - there are many sites with good instructions, definately including the one Jessica shared!

Im so happy you are going away, all this work and school stuff, you deserve a break!! Have a great time, relax and HAVE FUN!!!

7/20/2005 3:16 PM  
Anonymous LoriO said...

I agree, socks are the way to go for a travel project.

Have fun on your vacation!

7/21/2005 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home