My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Decorating Madness (or, just plain madness)

Monday, August 29

Decorating Madness (or, just plain madness)

Once again, my weekend was filled with non-knitting adventures. At 9pm on Friday, I decided that one wall in the dining room needed to be painted. A different color than beige. Maybe green or red. Immediately. And since Friday night is the best time to go to Lowe's (really, it is - there's no one there!), we headed out to get some paint chips. 30 minutes and three dozen or so paint chips later, we were home choosing a color for the wall. 45 minutes later, I was back at Lowe's picking up a quart of paint to test on the wall. I painted a big dark green (Amazon Silt, actually) blob on the wall before going to bed. Amazon Silt was not the right color for the wall - it looked weird in anything but natural daylight. More sorting through paint chips on Saturday morning... off to buy another quart of paint, this time in Olive 5... more painting - green blob #2. While blob #2 dried, I went to an eye doctor appointment and decided to stop at the home fabric store on my way back - just to make sure that fabrics exist that will coordinate with one of the two green paint blobs on my wall. Three hours later, I'm still at the fabric store... there are NO fabrics that go well with the green (sorry, that's a lie... there are plenty of very ugly fabrics that will go with the green), but LOTS of pretty ones that go with various shades of red... Hmmm... I can't paint the wall green if there are no pretty green fabrics that go well with my other furniture. Guess we're going to go with red! But what shade of red? The fabric store lady recommended buying my fabric first and pick out a paint color later. Unfortunately fabric will take a long time to order and will cost $$$, and paint is quick & easy. For now, I'm stuck with a partly beige wall and two big ugly unmatching green blobs right behind my dining room table. Nice. Now I have to figure out what to do... repaint that same exciting beige color over the green blobs, or order an upholstered window seat cushion, curtain panels, and 5 or 6 throw pillows. Stay tuned...

On Saturday afternoon, I received my final package from my SP5 Secret Pal. Gabrielle was my pal, and she did a great job of spoiling me. As it turns out, Gabrielle is a student too, and she's also in her last semester of school - yay! Unfortunately I have no pictures (yes, I've been a slacker in the photo department lately), but she sent me a wonderful package of goodies. I got my first ever pretty stitch markers - usually I use the plain Clover brand pink & blue plastic ones. I can't wait to use the ones that she made me. They are a beautiful purple color, and there's a special dangly one to mark the beginning of the row. I can't wait to use them! She also included a pretty pink sparkly necklace and some tasty chocolates. And my favorite part of the package was the yarn... three (3!!!!) balls of Rowan Calmer in Drift (#460, a beautiful soft off-white color) in a pretty gold bag. My very first Rowan! How exciting! Thanks Gabrielle!

Now the dilemma... what to knit with the 3 balls of Calmer? I've been coveting Audrey for a while, but that would require 4 more balls of yarn, and I'm not sure that Drift is the right color for my Audrey. Plus, I've already got 2 sweaters in the queue (if I ever get my yarn... but that's a post for another day). I'm thinking a shrug might be the perfect project for this yarn - perhaps the Mia shrug?

Sunday was another fun-filled day. I gave up on the dining room on Saturday, and didn't want to think about it on Sunday, so we went to the state fair. The fair was fun, but would have been better if it weren't so darn hot outside. We saw a bunch of neat exhibits, including a few knitted items. I was surprised there weren't more knit things, and more crafty things in general. There was only one small building with quilts, knit & crochet, sewing, needlepoint, and other fiber/fabric arts displayed.

My favorite part of the fair is always the farm animals, and this year was no exception. I love seeing all of the animals, and could spend hours wandering the barns. This year, we saw goats (and baby goats!), cows and calves (one that was less than an hour old!), sheep and lambs, horses, pigs, and piglets. It made me want to move back to a farm so I can have my own animals. Someday...

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

i love the mia shrug. it's on my list for future knits - as soon as i finish up my own WIPs, of course. =)
Hubby and i are going to the fair tommorrow (tuesday) - hopefully it won't be as hot, but yea, sunday was a real scorcher!

8/29/2005 11:59 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ah, paint selection! You'd think it'd be easy, but it sure isn't. What kind of red are you thinking? True red, brick red, ... My dining room is Cabin Red by Eddie Bauer (from Lowes) and is kind of a bricky red (but not too brown). I think there's a picture of it in my photo albums. You might check that out. Also, Lowes has an online paint viewer where you can paint rooms different colors and see how you like them. E-mail me if you want more ideas. The state fair sounds like a lot of fun - aren't babies so cute? I think the Mia shrug is lovely.

8/30/2005 7:18 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

I think Audrey looks like a great sweater! I've been thinking about that one too. Maybe I will put it in the queue next spring. The Mia Shrug is very cute too.
Good luck with finding the right color for your wall.

8/30/2005 7:54 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

I chuckled about how you suddenly decided you needed to paint...immediately. I can relate! Lowe's was busy this weekend with knitters who weren't knitting but doing home improvements instead.

How long does the state fair last? I still haven't been to one yet. It sounds like a fun thing to do with a group.

8/30/2005 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

OH I love fairs. Every year I'd go to our county fair, and pet the cows. I'm a bit of a cow fanatic.

Painting, colors, exhausting.

8/30/2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

Sounds like a great weekend, even though you had paint frustrations - Im sure you will find the right color, just think of it like another knit project - you'll pick a perfect combo Im sure!!

And you have more stuff headed your way! Your next box is headed out in the next day or two, I have some fun things lined up and need to pick up one or two more.

8/31/2005 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home