My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: The Un-Vacation

Thursday, August 4

The Un-Vacation

I'm back from vacation... or, at least I'm back to my regularly scheduled life. I'm not so sure I'd call the last two weeks a vacation, as it was just about the most exhausting two weeks I've had in a long time. We spent a week visiting my family in northeastern North Dakota, then drove to northwestern Iowa to spend a week with Todd's family. It was our first trip back home to visit our families in four years, so we had lots of people to see, places to go, and things to do. We went to my brother's wedding (very nice), met a niece and nephew that we hadn't met before (both adorable), visited with old friends from high school, and drove everywhere from Grand Forks to Des Moines to see aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, cousins, etc.

All in all, it was a good trip. Part of me wanted to stay there, where life is much simpler, traffic is quite pleasant, and houses are actually affordable. But, now it's back to reality. Bleh!

I managed to finish Harry Potter on the trip, and I did a lot of knitting too. I knit 95% of a Clapotis scarf/shawl (wasn't planning to make one of those, but after seeing the beautiful one that Violet was working on for a Frog Pond Knits store sample, I decided that it would be a perfect travel knitting project) and 95% of a Sophie felted bag.

95%!?!?!? On two projects? What's up with that? Are there just to many fabulously exciting things going on in the midwest to distract me from the last few rows of my knitting? Nope... I ran out of yarn - ON BOTH PROJECTS! That made me VERY cranky.

I kind of expected to run out on Sophie, because I went up one needle size to an 11 instead of a 10.5. I deliberately chose the 11s because I like the way Cascade 220 felts when knit more loosely. And, it was really close - I only need to knit 4 more rows, plus the i-cord handles. Not really a big deal to buy more yarn for this bag, since I can always use a nearly-whole skein of 220 to make something felted.

I am pretty dang peeved about running out of yarn for the Clapotis, though. I used the yarn called for in the pattern (Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb - this is fabulous, luxurious yarn!), with the correct gauge called for by the pattern (and coincidentally the same needle size), and ran out with THREE pattern repeats left +5 rows - 41 whole rows!! What the heck happened to all of my yarn? Why did I run out on this? I have no idea. But now I have to go buy an entire skein of L&L for about 20 or 30 yards of yarn. Grrrr. And I have no idea what to do with the rest of the skein... I guess I'll just have to make a gift scarf with it. At least I love knitting with the L&L. [After doing a Google search, I see I'm not the only knitter who ran out of L&L on Clapotis - why hasn't this pattern been updated to reflect the actual amount of yarn used?]

Does anyone happen to have a partial skein of either Cascade 220 Celtic Green (color no. 9410, lot 8198) or Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb Lakeview (color no. 504, lot 7896) that they'd like to sell or trade? Otherwise, I'll just have to head back to the yarn store to buy another skein of each.

This post is getting longer than I'd planned, but I have to thank Lynette for the lovely package she sent me. She sent me some beautiful sock yarn in pretty fall shades, a set of 2.5mm dpns, and some chocolates - all from her recent vacation to Europe, for getting the correct answers in her contest. Thanks Lynette! I haven't used needles that small before, and am looking forward to trying them with the yarn you sent!

I've got lots of pictures to share, but those will have to wait until tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger caitlyn said...

Welcome back, Cyndi! I missed reading your posts when you were gone. =) I'm glad that you had a good trip, though it sounds like you might need a vacation from your vacation!!! LOL But I'm sure that your family was thrilled to see you and Todd.
Wow, you certainly got a lot of knitting done! Sorry to hear that you ran out of yarn for the Clapotis and the Sophie. If I had either of those colors they would be yours. For the Clapotis -- did you remove one repeat from section 3???
Looking forward to seeing your pictures...take care!

8/04/2005 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Sounds like an exhausting but fabulous trip. Going home is so nice sometimes.

I wish I had the yarn you are requesting but I've nver knit with LL and the green cascade I have is a different color

Can't wait to see pictures of your trip.

8/05/2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

welcome back! looking forward to your trip pictures!

8/05/2005 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home