My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Frieda-licious!

Monday, September 26

Frieda-licious!

As promised, here are some pictures of Frieda. This weekend I managed to finish the front of the sweater. I also started on the first sleeve (not shown - I stayed up kind of late last night, and didn't take any pictures of it). I cannot believe how fast this sweater is knitting up! I'm guessing that I'll have both sleeves finished next weekend (and maybe the collar), and will plan to seam everything together the following weekend.

The front looks tiny compared to the back. But, the edges are rolled under a fair amount (on both pieces), and when gently stretched, it is the perfect size.



The back neck is rolling quite a bit - I didn't bind off because I'm going to use a 3-needle bindoff at the shoulder seams.



When I finished the front, I forgot about the 3-needle bindoff that I was planning, and accidentally bound off the shoulder stitches - oops! Luckily the bindoff will be easy to undo.



Check out these cables - I'm so amazed that *I* knit these!



I decided to knit the sleeves (not pictured) all in one piece, rather than following the pattern. The overwhelming consensus is that knitting the sleeves as directed will lead to a drafty sweater. For those of you who are working on Frieda (or will be shortly), here's how I'm knitting the sleeves:

Cast on 42 (per instructions)
Knit ribbing as directed
Row 1: Knit 14, Purl 2, Knit 10, Purl 2, Knit 14 (right side)
Row 2: Knit and purl stitches as they lie
Row 3: Knit 14, Purl 2, Slip 2 st to cable needle (hold behind knitting), Knit 4; from cable needle: K1, M1, K1, M1; Knit 4, P2, K14
Continue per pattern instructions. Cable follows sweater cable pattern, increases/decreases follow sleeve instructions. (don't forget to increase on both sides of the sleeve!) Don't knit the first stitch on the wrong side like the directions say - that stitch is on the edge that would be sewed to the cable, if you were sewing the cable in last.

Also, I discovered that I'm going to have to lengthen the sleeves. The pattern says the sleeves are only 17 3/4" long - for ALL sizes of this sweater. My arms are closer to 20" long! I'm not sure who wears a size M sweater and has arms that short - certainly not me! When I get to the knit even section of the pattern, I'm going to add a couple of inches before decreasing. I'll figure out the math for the exact number of rows when I get there!

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

OMG - it's gorgeous! I love how the cables knit up. Yummy. Your sleeve instructions sound perfect. I can't wait until you finish and get it made up.

9/26/2005 10:03 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Freida looks wonderful so far! The cables are beautiful. Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to knit the sleeves in one piece!!

9/26/2005 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Looks lovely. The color is very nice, and the cables too. I can't wait to see the finished product.

9/26/2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Very pretty! You're knitting it up so fast you'll be wearing it tomorrow!

9/27/2005 8:12 AM  
Blogger JustApril said...

i love cables!

9/27/2005 11:26 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

oooh, love the cables!! great job. =)

9/27/2005 6:17 PM  
Blogger yaiAnn said...

That sweater is going to be really cuddly! Perfect for winter!

9/28/2005 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Jeanie said...

Your Frieda is AWESOME!!! Okay, about Rebecca... I don't know if you can subscribe to it or not. I don't have a subscription but would get one in a heartbeat. I bought mine from Elizabeth at www.theknittinggarden.com.

Take care!

9/28/2005 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

nice job! I am currently knitting the same pattern, it's a lovely sweater, as I can see from your photos. I couldn't understand part of the instructions, would appreciate if you can help me out. On the back, after the ribs are knitted, when the increase starts, I can't quite figure out what the book means by 'Cont in st st, inc in this way at each end of 5 foll 6th rows', can you explain what the '5 foll 6th row' mean? thanks again.

12/09/2005 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home