My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: The perfect second project?

Friday, September 23

The perfect second project?

Last night after class, I got together with some of my girlfriends from school - one of whom was inspired to take up knitting after she saw me wearing "My So Called Scarf" to class last winter. She and I spent a few minutes talking about knitting, and she mentioned that all she knows how to knit right now is a rectangle, and she's tired of making scarves. Sounds like me about a year ago!

I'm going to look through all of my "beginner" knitting materials (books, etc) and see if there's anything that would be good to give to her to get her started on increases and decreases. I'd like to recommend an interesting (but straightforward) project to her so she can learn some other basic knitting skills.

My second project (after many scarves) was a ribbed hat from the Yarn Girl's Guide to Simple Knits, and my third project was the felted sheep tote. These were both good projects to learn new techniques, and weren't overwhelming to me.

What was your second project? Your third?

7 Comments:

Anonymous LoriO said...

My first project was a sweater, and my second was socks. But I finished the socks first because I had to rip out the entire sweater and knit it all over again. I didn't know a thing about gauge back then. I didn't get around to making a scarf until waaaay later! hahahha :)

9/23/2005 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

My second project, a sweater. My third a sweater. Simple ones, in fact at least one was from the Yarn Girls' Guide. That's what my sister did to, a sweater for her second project. TEchnically I call my sweater the first project though because I never finished the first. But then again, I'm a little odd, I just didn't let it scare me, I figured the worst that could happen is I'd waste yarn.

9/23/2005 11:10 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

A sweater from the Yarn Girls' Guide and then a simple hat from Hollywood Knits. It'll be fun to help someone grow with their knitting.

9/23/2005 12:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Booga Bag. All knit stitch, learn to use circulars and make i-cord. And the felting just washes away all your mistakes.

9/23/2005 1:52 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

My second project was a double seed stitch scarf, and my third was the Marsupial Tote from SnB. The Marsupial Tote was a good one from gaining skills -- picking up stitches, knitting in the round, casting on mid-row.

9/23/2005 10:15 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

My first project was socks, my second, the Grace cardigan from Debbie Bliss. Like lorio, I didn't get around to scarves until later on!

9/25/2005 3:26 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Hmm, I'm sure my first project was a scarf. I think the second was a purse from The Knit Stitch. Third was a sweater from Yarn Girls. They are all jumbled together in my mind!

9/27/2005 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home