My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: The weekend in knitting

Sunday, September 11

The weekend in knitting

I had a very knitty weekend this weekend (and amazingly did a lot of other things too!). Saturday morning I met up with Catilyn to knit. She was working on a beautiful purple short row scarf, and I managed to finish up the toe of my stripey socks.

Ta da!
And here are the socks being modeled - they fit really well! These socks are my own pattern - nothing special really... just cast on 64 stitches, knit an inch and a half of 1x1 ribbing, then knit the rest of the sock. The only thing that bugs me is that even though both socks are exactly the same size, one sock has a bit of green and white at the toe, and the other one is tan at the toe. Caitlyn pointed out that it won't matter, because my toes will be in shoes anyway... good point!
Friday night after I got home, I picked up my yarn for Frieda. I knit and blocked my swatch on Friday, and my gauge was right on, so I cast on for Frieda on Saturday afternoon. I've already knitted the back of the sweater up to the armhole shaping. I really haven't spent that much time knitting this weekend either - this project is going to go really fast!
A couple of notes on this project so far: First, I love this yarn. It is so soft, and gets a nice, fuzzy sheen after blocking. Second, I need to learn to follow directions. When I cast on, I thought "Hmmm, that's odd, the pattern says the first row is a right side row, but the back of the cast on is ugly for the right side - I'd better fix that." Yeah, not so much. Turns out for 2x2 ribbing, the back of the cast on looks much more finished. I ripped back about 6 rows and started over. When I finished the ribbing, I was so happy to be done that I just kept right on going in stockinette. With size 6 needles. Doh! I was supposed to switch to 8s. Time to rip back 6 more rows. On to the armhole shaping (not shown in the picture)... I miscounted and did one decrease too few. You guessed it... 6 more rows of ripping back. Now I've got 39 simple rows of stockinette to finish for the back. I'm leaving that until next weekend though. Frieda is going to be my weekend project from now on. (yes, it will be hard to leave her tomorrow!)

This afternoon, we cleaned out our closet and unpacked a few more boxes from our move a year and a half ago. In one of the boxes, we found 3 scarves that I knitted when I started knitting about two years ago. I'll have to take pictures of them and post them to share the horror with you. They are all knit from Lion Homespun in plain garter stitch. I must have knit 6 or 8 Homespun scarves during the first year I knit. Wow - has my taste in yarn changed! I'm not sure what to do with these scarves... I think I'll see if I can donate them somewhere.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. This may be of interest to you; how to buy & sell everything, like music on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

9/11/2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

i like the socks!! stripey and funky and fun!

9/12/2005 1:06 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Yay, the socks look beautiful! And you certainly made a lot of progress on Freida! Great job.

9/12/2005 7:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Very nice socks. Frieda!! How exciting. I'm so glad you got gauge and are crusin' right along. I'm gonna swatch this week.

9/12/2005 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Cute socks. Of course if you wore them in sandals the sock toes would show, but then I'm probably the only geek that wears her hand-knit socks in her sandles.

9/12/2005 9:44 AM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

NICE socks! And all I can say about Frieda is she looks wonderful!

Isnt it fun to look back at things you did when you were starting (anything, not just knitting) and see how far you've come?

9/12/2005 7:36 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

OH I love those socks!!! I am a total perfectionist and didn't even realize there was any difference, so wear them with pride! cute cute cute!

9/18/2005 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home