My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Mail Call

Monday, October 10

Mail Call

The last week has been a miserable one for me - I've been sick since last Tuesday. Didn't work on Wednesday or Thursday, felt a little better on Friday, and then was down for the count pretty much all weekend. The upside is that I've been home for nearly a week now, which has been nice. And look what arrived in the mail for me last week...
A package from Germany! It's the GGH Davos I ordered from Rikes Wollmaus for the Rebecca Embroidered Yoke Sweater.

I couldn't find this yarn anywhere in the US - online or locally, so I decided to be brave and order from a foreign online retailer. Boy did I get lucky! This is a terrific place to order yarn that you can't find in the US. First of all, the yarn itself cost about 40% less than it would have cost to special order it from somewhere locally. When I e-mailed them to ask about the yarn and overseas shipping, they were very responsive and helpful. The only downside was shipping. I had the package shipped parcel post for about $10, and it took just over a month to arrive. I could have paid $26 for priority mail, but I couldn't justify paying half of the yarn cost in shipping.

Here's a closeup of the yarn. For lack of a better word, this yarn is very squishy. It's not the softest yarn I've ever used, and after knitting with the alpaca silk, it feels a little like knitting with twine (ok, so anything would feel like twine after knitting with alpaca silk - that's not really a fair comparison). But wow, this yarn is squishy. I started knitting the sweater, and already there is drama. I'll post pictures and an update after work today.
Finally, here's the current status of Frieda. She got blocked yesterday, and is now drying. Not sure when she'll be dry, but I'm excited to start putting her all together! Hopefully by next weekend I'll have finished my very first sweater.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Rebekah said...

Wow, Frieda was your first sweater! Well it looks great, can't wait to see the put together pictures.

It's funny how different yarn feels, I even find after knitting something I think is so soft, then I'll go and pick it up and it's no longer as soft as I once thought. Maybe it's how our hands adjust, who knows.

10/10/2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

I understand I haven't felt well in what seems like forever.

That is quite a first sweater. Looks just beautiful.

10/10/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

First sweater??? Really? I didn't know that. It looks great and I can't wait for you to finish (or to hear about the Rebecca sweater drama). Hope you feel better.

10/10/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

I am so excited for you - I cant believe you're done with it!! (sans seaming that is) So looking fwd to the model shots =)

Hope you are feeling better now!

10/10/2005 11:25 AM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

Glad that the order of GGH Davos worked out! I was just thinking about that recently. Hope you feel completely better soon, and I can't wait to see a seamed-up Freida!

10/10/2005 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home