My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Presenting... Frieda!

Sunday, October 16

Presenting... Frieda!

Frieda, she is done! Well, nearly done. There are approximately 5,132 ends left to weave in. And I've already woven in about 254 ends. Seriously.



If it wasn't Sunday night already, I would take Nancy Wiseman's advice and sit down with a glass of wine and finish weaving in the ends. (that's the best knitting advice I've ever read in a book!)

I finally got around to finishing the seaming (2nd sleeve and both side seams) on Saturday afternoon. I can honestly say that I LOVE seaming! It is the neatest thing to see the pieces that you've knit come together as a sweater, and it goes so much faster than the actual knitting. If anyone has any seaming they need done, let me know... Will seam for yarn! :)

Anyway, here's the finished Frieda photos, with the loose ends strategically stuffed inside the sleeves and collar. I am beyond thrilled with this sweater. It turned out absolutely perfectly. Now, if the weather would just cooperate so I can actually wear it.

Here's a front view of the sweater -


And a side view showing the sleeve a little better -


Frieda Notes ---


Pattern:
Frieda, from the Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk book, in the 36" size. The pattern was fairly well written. My only real complaint is the lack of schematics. It would have been nice to know all of the dimensions when blocking, but my guestimations worked fairly well.

Needles:
Size 6 and 8 Addi Turbos, 32" - Love 'em!

Yarn
: Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in Rose. I bought one more skein than the pattern called for, and am very glad I did! I probably used 1/4 skein more than the pattern called for, most likely because of the pattern modifications that I did.

Pattern modifications:
I knit the cables into sleeves rather than attaching them later as called for in the pattern. Also, I did two fewer increases in the sleeves and added 8 rows (approx. 1") to each sleeve.

Highlights:
- My first sweater! (ok folks, I'm running out of firsts here... guess I'm moving beyond being a newbie knitter!)
- I learned how to cable, and attempted cabling without a cable needle. I ended up using a cable needle, because an 8 stitch wide cable is slightly unwieldy without a cable needle.
- Finishing - love it! Must knit more sweaters so I can put them together!
- Love the yarn, love the pattern, love the finished sweater - what more could I ask for?

Lowlights:
- Each ball of yarn only has about 70 yards of yarn on it. I knit through a ball of yarn in 1-2 hours. This made for lots of loose ends to weave in at the end (see above)
- The ribbed collar took forever and was by far the least fun part of the sweater to knit.

What I would do differently next time: Nothing, really. I'm very happy with this sweater! If I made another one, I'd probably try a different yarn - something a little less pricey.

15 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

WOW!! it looks really great on you!! i agree with the seaming bit - i used to hate it (along with weaving in so many wretched ends) but after seeing the end results, it's actually quite gratifying! this is a perfect top for the upcoming fall/winter. but i know what you mean by the current weather. we're still in the mid-80's, and we're already halfway through october... =P

10/16/2005 6:28 PM  
Anonymous grumperina said...

I don't have much to say - it's PERFECT! Oh my goodness, no wonder everyone's making one! You did a great job with the finishing, and it fits you so well!

10/16/2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger caitlyn said...

It is SOOOO gorgeous!!!! =) Yay, Cyndi!!! You did an awesome job on it and it looks amazing on you!

10/16/2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger Shhhh.... said...

I am sooooooo in awe of your stunning Frieda - its perfect! (And it doesnt hurt that it looks so darn good on you too!)

Congrats - wear her well!

10/17/2005 3:52 AM  
Anonymous Jeanie said...

Beautiful!!! I may have to try this one myself!!! I have a question... what do you mean the pattern says to add the cables later? That's a new one for me!

10/17/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Beth C said...

Congratulations, Cindi! The sweater is beautiful and fits you perfectly! A triumph! :)

10/17/2005 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Angela said...

It looks great and fits you perfectly! I have to agree with you, and I think we're the minority here, is that I LOVE seaming. It's the weaving in ends I hate. =) Fantasic job! Wear it proudly!

10/17/2005 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Beautiful! Perfect! Great fit! Amazing! I'm truly impressed with this your first sweater, you did an amazing job and it looks great on!

10/17/2005 12:27 PM  
Blogger mf said...

Looks wonderful on you!1 I've never met a Debbie Bliss pattern that I really didn't like

10/17/2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger ericah64 said...

WOW. It's terrific, and it fits you perfectly! Great job.

10/17/2005 4:27 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Wow It looks wonderful! It looks like its a perfect fit!! Awesome job!

10/17/2005 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Roxanne said...

Love that sweater! I noticed it so long ago too but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on yarn...now that I see yours, gosh, I may have to reconsider! Enjoy!

10/17/2005 6:05 PM  
Blogger Gabby said...

Congrats on finishing your first sweater! And it is a stunner!
I've been eyeing DB Alpaca Silk for a while - it's so soft that I have to pet it everytime I see it in person. I may just have to jump on the Frieda wagon - yours looks so amazing!
-Gabby

10/17/2005 7:05 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Cyndi, it's simply perfect. Congratulations! Is this really your first sweater?? I'm very impressed.

10/18/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Fabulous. It looks great on you and I'm so glad you're happy with your first sweater.

10/18/2005 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home