My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Irish Hiking Scarf

Thursday, December 29

Irish Hiking Scarf

I guess I was further along on the Irish Hiking Scarf than I thought I was. When I took it out today, I held it up, and it was close to 72" long (maybe a little longer). So, I bound off and wove in the ends. I decided not to block it because it is nice and soft and squishy right now - the cables really pop.

Specs:
Pattern - Modified Irish hiking scarf. I didn't do the garter stitch edging, and instead did a 3 stitch stockinette edge, slipping the first stitch on each row. It made a nice smooth edge, just what I wanted. Also, I started and ended the cables earlier, which gave sort of a wavy effect on the ends of the scarf (the ribbing look of the original pattern didn't quite do it for me).
Yarn - Louisa Harding Kashmir Aran in a pinky lavender color. Soft and pretty. The yarn is a joy to knit, but I'm a little confused by its construction. It isn't plied - it seems to be a single ply of yarn woven (crocheted with chain stitch?) in a fine tube (you can see close up pics of the yarn at the link above) It gives a little different look/feel to the finished product than using a plied yarn.
Needles - Lantern Moon Ebony straight needles, size 8. The first time I've used straight needles in months, and the first time I've used wooden needles (as opposed to bamboo). And, surprisingly, I enjoyed it. I may have to start collecting a set of lantern moon needles now.
Notes - A fast (considering my limited knitting time) and fun knit. Hopefully it will be well received.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

pretty! the cables really do pop. it looks soft and luxurious =)

12/29/2005 11:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Beautiful. If it isn't well received, you just send it my way, and I promise it will be. :-) That yarn is interesting, and makes for a very nice scarf.

12/30/2005 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

No, no, don't send it to Stephanie, send it to me, it's beautiful. But I assume that the receiver will not let it out of their sight. DRat, I guess I'll just have to knit myself up one.

12/30/2005 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home