My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Stressed

Monday, December 5

Stressed

Thank goodness for knitting. Once again finals are quickly approaching, and once again I'm in a foul mood. I stayed at work until after 10pm tonight to study and was super cranky when I finally got home. So I pulled out my knitting and worked on Irish Hiking Scarf v2.o (pinkish lavender Louisa Harding yarn - it's lovely, and very soft) while listening to some music. I spent about an hour and a half on it trying to relax (it helped a little), and now I need to get to bed, but for some reason I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about finals, and I don't know why. I'm not super nervous about them this semester, it is just a royal pain in the rear to have them hanging over my head.

The more I think about finals, the more upset I get that I even have to take them. After all, I've been doing this law school thing for three and a half years now, and I'm pretty sure I get it. The odds that I'll do poorly on an exam are pretty slim (although, I shouldn't speak too soon, considering the limited number of times I've opened some of my books this semester). And even if I DO do poorly, I can get straight Cs or even a C- or two and still graduate in the top 10% of my class, which doesn't mean anything to anyone anyway. But they won't just give you bad grades if you ask (I did), you actually have to take the stinking exams to make sure you really deserve them. Grrr. What a waste of time.

What I really need is time to finish up a few loose ends at work, do some Christmas shopping, and take a mental vacation before I start studying for the real thing. You know, that silly little test that the former dean of Stanford law school who just happens to be one of the country's most renowned Constitutional law scholars failed. Granted, she admittedly didn't study, but still, how can the bar *not* admit her? Is there any concern at all that she is not competent to practice law in California? Because surely if she had been able to recite the Rule Against Perpetuities (or some other obscure and trivial point of law totally unrelated to her practice) she would be a better and more competent lawyer. Right. Things like this really make me doubt our entire legal system. Maybe someday I'll come back and read this post and decide to try to do something about it. There has to be a better way to administer both law school and the legal profession as a whole.

Anyway, that's enough of a rant for today. I know school will be over soon (10 days!!!!!!), I just have to suck it up and get it over with, and I can totally do that. Now, if I can just get some sleep...

4 Comments:

Blogger Shhhh.... said...

Hopefully you got some sleep finally and the day is better. I sent out your last package yesterday, which I know you won't see till you go home, but at least you know you have something fun waiting =)

Easier said than doen but try to ease up on yourself - you have done so much and done it so well - making yourself crazy now isn't worth the energy *S*

Hang in there!!

12/06/2005 5:47 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ah yes, a familiar rant. The merits of law school, law school exams, and the bar exam. The problem with the whole system is that it doesn't teach you a damn thing about how to be a good lawyer. But for some reason there's a mentality that if we had to do it, we must torture all the newbies by making them do it too. Someone needs to break the cycle. And don't get me started on the randomness of the bar exam. Really smart people in my class failed and really unsmart people passed. My theory that it's all in how good a guesser you are the multi-state because who knows what the heck the answer is! Finals will be over before you know it and that will be a huge load off your mind. The bar will happen and they won't have to think about it for months. And Christmas is coming - that'll be a nice relaxing time. Remember, you cannot study all the time or you're going to burn out. You just did really well on the patent exam - give yourself a break. Get a massage or go shopping - something fun for just one afternoon. You'll feel a lot better. Sorry for the rant of my own.

12/06/2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

i also vote for the massage. deep tissue at blue sky day spa (in midtown) to be exact. =) before you know it, the 10 days will be gone. more power (and peace of mind) to you!!! =)

12/06/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

wow, an entire spa afternoon!!! wish i can (afford) to join you on that! you are really going to enjoy that after all your much hard-earned work. enjoy it!! and much luck to you in the coming days. =)

12/06/2005 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home