My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Life before knitting

Sunday, March 5

Life before knitting

Anyone else notice that their life has changed since they started knitting?

The thing that I've noticed most is that my shopping style has changed significantly. I am a shopper. I love clothes, and I love shopping for clothes. A typical before-knitting shopping trip would go something like this: Go to the mall. Stop at Macy's, Nordstroms, Ann Taylor, Gap, Banana Republic, etc. Adore the cute clothes. Try on said clothes. Maybe buy a few things (or, more than a few!).

Since I began to knit, my shopping trips have been reduced significantly in both frequency and scope. Even more interestingly, the way I shop has changed. I no longer browse idly through the stores. Now, I make a beeline for the sweaters and look at the style, the shaping, the construction, and the yarn.

Case in point: I recently went to the Eddie Bauer outlet store with Todd. He had some things he wanted to get, and I didn't even bother looking at the women's clothing. Instead, a sweater on the sale rack in the men's section caught my eye. The yarn looked soft and comfy and tweedy. I envisioned the sweater becoming a different sweater - a sweater for me! A cabled sweater, perhaps my own design. (hey, a girl can dream!) So, I bought the sweater JUST FOR THE YARN. Is that wrong? For $10, I got enough yarn for a sweater, or maybe two.



Today, I started frogging the sweater. This is only the back of it... I still need to finish the front and sleeves.



Thankfully, I had a couple of new tools to help me out. Check out my brand-spanking new homemade niddy-noddys...



These were super easy to make - just buy a 1 1/8" dowel and a 1/2" dowel, cut the dowels to whatever length you want, and drill 1/2" holes in either end of the thick dowel and slide the smaller dowels through.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

i think about that sometimes too - life before knitting was different, especially my shopping styles. now all i want to spend money on is yarn! and many times i'm fingering a knitted piece at a store wondering if i can get my hands on yarn that felt just like that. so yea, more power to you with your new yarn! it's a yarn-reincarnation of sorts =)

3/06/2006 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Dani said...

I LOVE the yearn for your new sweater (notice, I did not refer to it's former incantation as a store bought men's sweater?) I think it's a great way to find the right color, amount and type of yarn you want to use!!

Someday I will learn to use a niddy noddy. I actually have never tried to wrap my brain around the concept ;-)

3/06/2006 5:16 AM  
Blogger Lynette said...

Hehehe, I've done the exact same thing! In fact, probably at the very same Eddie Bauer outlet!

Yeah, my shopping has changed since I started knitting. I don't buy sweaters anymore, at least not ones I think I can knit.

How was Squaw? You must've had excellent snow up there last week.

3/06/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Life before knitting? Interesting. I used to buy a lot more and be not as picky about my clothes purchases. Now I imagine the knitted sweaters I can wear w/ whatever I'm considering. The yarn is awesome and will be a great sweater. And with your technical mind you could absolutely design your own sweater.

3/06/2006 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Love the Niddy Noddies, Nick made me one that looks just like that.

I find my shopping has definitely changed, I've never been much of a shopper, but now I look at more detail in clothing rather then the price tag alone.

3/06/2006 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home