My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: It was the best of weekends, it was the worst of weekends...

Sunday, April 2

It was the best of weekends, it was the worst of weekends...

What a weekend! Lots going on, knitting and not. Forgive me if this post seems somewhat random... I need to learn to post more frequently with less stuff in each post.

First, a HUGE thank you to all those who suggested new names for my blog! I got some awesome ideas, and had a hard time choosing the winner.

[drum roll please...]

And the winner is... Cathi of In The Pink, with her suggestion of "On Pins and Needles." The name works perfectly for a (mostly) knitting and sewing themed blog, and, ironically, also describes my state of mind as I await my bar results. I'm hoping the state of mind thing is only temporary though!

I'll be working on getting my new site up over the next couple of months - stay tuned!

In other weekend news, my Sockapaloooza socks are now finished! They are happily blocking away right now. I'll get a nice picture of them when they are dry.

There was another trip to the fabric store over the weekend too. After reading and rereading the Weekender bag pattern, and much fondling of the gorgeous Amy Butler fabric that I purchased, I decided that my decision to ignore the pattern instructions and buy lightweight fabric was very unwise. So, I found some nice heavy home decorating cotton in a mod black and tan print with a coordinating black "O" print lining.



It isn't as springy as the floral fabric, but the pseudo-geometric print is very me. The AB fabric will be put to good use as a Madison bag instead. That pattern is much more suitable for a lightweight fabric.

Of course, I couldn't resist getting started. After nearly 4 hours of pattern layout and cutting, and approximately 60 pattern pieces later (I kid you not), here's what I've got...



Fun, eh? Just wait until I start sewing it up!

We also headed up to Northstar at Tahoe to ski today. The day started out great... got to the mountain just before 10, hardly any lift lines, got in a couple green runs to warm up, headed off to do a couple of blue runs, and went back to the green run so we could meet our friends at the bottom of the chair lift. A great start to the day. Then, about halfway down a really easy run, Todd crashed - a bad, scary crash (two full flips). And for no apparent reason - we were going a reasonable speed on an easy run, and there were no other people or trees around. I was terrified that he had broken bones, or worse. But, after resting for a minute, he got up and skiied the rest of the way down the run.

After we finished the run, I thought he should probably rest for a while, so we headed to the lodge and sat down. While we were resting, he started acting really out of character - he kept asking me what had happened, and he couldn't remember where we were or how we got there, or that we had driven up to the mountain with another couple. At first, I thought he was playing a late April Fool's joke on me, but he was completely serious. We sat a while longer and had lunch, and by the time lunch was over, I knew something was really wrong - he was really quiet and seemed confused about everything. We took the gondola down the mountain to the first aid station to see the doctor. The entire way there, Todd kept asking me where we were going, and why he needed to see a doctor. By that point, I was really scared that he had a serious head injury from the crash. The doctor was able to see him right away, and said that he had a very bad concussion, and had no short term memory capability, and that we'd have to stay in the clinic for monitoring until he started to recover from the concussion, or if that didn't happen, we'd have to go to a local ER to get CT scans done in case there was internal bleeding in his head. I don't think I've every been so worried - head injuries are very scary.

The next few hours were awful. He didn't understand what he was doing in the clinic, and kept asking where we were and what had happened. Finally, he started to remember a few little things, like the doctor's name. What a relief! Late in the afternoon, the doctor discharged him because he was improving, but said that it would take a while for a full recovery, and that there was still a possibility that he could get worse.

So, right now we're home, and thankfully Todd is doing better (not great, but better). We're both pretty shaken by the whole incident. Todd will probably never remember the moments before the accident or the following several hours, and he's still confused about why he had such a bad crash on such an easy run. He's also trying to remember the past few days, which seem to have been lost, at least temporarily. The whole incident was very frightening, and I can't even put into words how happy I am that it wasn't any worse. We are very, very fortunate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Oh my goodness. That must have been really scary. I'm glad he's doing better. Take care.

4/03/2006 12:14 AM  
Anonymous caitlyn said...

That sounds *really* scary. I'm very glad to hear that Todd is doing better, and I hope he continues to improve this week. Please keep us posted.

4/03/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Crap. What a nightmare. I'm glad Todd's doing better and I hope things continue to improve, but yikes! I'm impressed that your sockpal socks are done and I love the name!

4/03/2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger janna said...

Oh, how scary! I hope he continues to improve - let us know, okay? And the hours of cutting and piecing the bag? That's why I don't sew.

4/03/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

goodness!! i would be really freaked out too. just thinking about it is freaking me out. but glad to hear that he is showing signs of improvement. wishing him a speedy (and safe) recovery... you guys are indeed fortunate. *hugs*

4/03/2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Oh my goodness, I can feel your pain. A couple of years ago, my husband had a bicycle accident. We were riding from the corner store to our house and he was goofing off and flipped his bike. He didn't get up, when I got up to him, he was laying face down, unconscious in a pool of blood. An ambulance was called, and we went to the hospital. He had a series of CT scans and xrays over the next several hours. Fortunately it was just a concussion but it was the scariest thing I had ever had happen.

A few years before that he had a serious car accident and broke his nose, and had another concussion.

Anyway, the reason I'm tell you all this is to be careful. Watch him carefully over the next few months and anything that seems out of character, consider having him checked out.

Even now years later, Nick isn't the same. His memory comes and goes. He's much more easily angered by things at times. And from what I'm told, all of these things can relate back to those two head injuries.

Not to scare you, but just be aware to keep a good eye on him for a while.

4/04/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Oh my, have you thought about going to your regular doctor for a follow-up? I do hope he recovers fully. Take care, and keep us posted.

4/05/2006 8:02 AM  
Anonymous LoriO said...

Oh man, that sounds awful! Super scary. I would have freaked out.

I'm glad he's doing better and hope he soon recovers completely.

4/05/2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Cyndi, how awful for you! I'm glad to see from today's post that Todd's doing all right. What a scary, miserable thing to have happen.

4/06/2006 6:18 AM  
Blogger Cathi said...

That is so scary- I'm glad that you were there with him to help out.

4/06/2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home