My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Let the Weekend(er) begin!

Thursday, April 6

Let the Weekend(er) begin!

Sewing is not like knitting. It can (and does!) take forever for me to knit something, but it doesn't bother me much, because for me, knitting is more about the process. Don't get me wrong, I love the end result, but I mostly knit because it is relaxing.

Sewing, on the other hand, is all about the end result. It kills me to have a pile of fabric pieces cut and ready to be sewn together, and not have time to sit down and finish the project. Also, sewing? Not terribly relaxing, as evidenced by the choice words that escaped my mouth several times last night. But, I still love to sew. I think for me it is the challenge of creating a three dimensional object out of yards of fabric by cutting it into different shapes and putting the pieces together.

So, last night I hauled the sewing machine out and started putting the pieces of the weekender bag together.



I only had a few hours to work on it, and didn't get very far. I completed the two large pocket panels and all the cording I'll need for the rest of the bag. This is going to be one loooong project. Every piece needs to be pinned, basted, and sewn multiple times (once to apply cording, once to apply the heavyweight Timtex lining, and once to apply the fabric lining). Just applying the cording to the top of the pocket required about 6 passes of the sewing machine (plus one more the time I messed up and had to rip).

Yep, this is going to take a while. I guess I just have to live with it, and get used to hauling out my sewing machine a few nights a week until the project is done.

Next up, handles and the large front and back panel. Wheee!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Rebekah said...

3 words.

I LOVE IT!

4/06/2006 11:55 AM  
Anonymous caitlyn said...

Awesome, Cyndi!

4/06/2006 12:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's fabulous. I really like the fabrics you chose.

4/06/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Beautiful! I love the modern, funky fabric. Gorgeous.

4/06/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous carolyn said...

i'm starting the weekender bag too. my fabric just came in today. i just have to buy all the peripherals (timtex, interfacing, etc etc) and i'll be ready to start. i'll be watching your progress!

4/13/2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger Lynette said...

The fabric is fabulous! Really, Cyndi, it will turn out fantastic!

On another note - I just read about Todd's skiing accident. I was so sorry to hear about it but am relieved that it wasn't more serious and that he's improving. How scary for the both of you.

4/13/2006 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home