My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.onpinsandneedles.org and update your bookmarks.

Ms. Knits: Stitch & Ride

Monday, April 24

Stitch & Ride

Caitlyn & I (and a bunch of fun ladies from the knitting guild, including Beth, who helped set up the trip and took some great pictures) made a trip on the Amtrak Stitch & Ride train to the Knit & Crochet show on Saturday.

Here's Caitlyn working on her sock - the lucky girl won a great door prize on the train!


And these are the fun gals who shared a table with us in the knitting car. They were both working on neat beaded Koigu purses. So pretty!

I worked on the Backyard Leaves scarf on the train. Note to self: charts + train + crazy chatting knitters = much frogging. Oh well, it was fun anyway. And you see that little spot of pink behind my right shoulder? It's Nancie!


Yes, that's right, I got to meet the author of my favorite knitting book (which also happens to be the most useful knitting book that I own) - Nancie Wiseman!


Unfortunately, neither Caitlyn or I took pictures at the knit show itself, even after we each mentioned several times that we should take pictures! I'd be a horrible photojournalist. You'll just have to imagine a big room in a convention center filled with yarn and fibery goodness everywhere. And knitters. Lots and lots of knitters.

The show was great, but I didn't have much luck finding patterns. I was hoping to find a lace pattern that hasn't already been knit to death, but patterns were in short supply at the show.

There was one beautiful display of Russian Lace shawls (yeah, yeah - no pictures... sorry), but they were all for sale, and the booth didn't have any patterns available. I did manage to find some very pretty yarn for my next lace project from a different vendor.



As far as I can tell, this yarn isn't available anywhere except for from Yarn Place, and it doesn't even show up on their website. It is a gorgeous deep red tencel/merino blend, and I would guess that it is cobweb weight or maybe even finer (no gauge is given on the yarn band). Seriously, it is a very fine yarn. Smaller than some thread that I've used. There are 3000 yards of yarn in this 4 oz. hank! 3000! Crazy.


How long do you suppose it will take me to make a lace shawl on tiny (00? 0? 1?) needles with 3000 yards of yarn? I'm guessing a reeeeeallly long time. Any ideas for patterns? I love Eunny's Print O'The Wave stole- and this is enough yarn to make 4 of those! Yikes!

4 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

Looks like a lot of fun was had by all! What a great trip.

4/24/2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

what fun pictures!! you guys must have had a blast, from what i heard =)

4/24/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sniffle, sniffle. I wish I could have been there too. Gorgeous red yarn. Have you looked at Fiddlesticks? She has some gorgeous shawls (and the charts are wonderful).

4/25/2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Wow that looks like such fun! A train, knitting, door prizes, then a show, my goodness I think I would have peed my pants! Okay that's gross, maybe I would have just fainted in a happy puddle of contentment.

4/26/2006 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home